After the approval of 2A in 2014, 2015 was a busy year for the Woodland Aquatic Project’s all-volunteer team. You’re receiving this because you signed up on our website for these periodic updates. Thankyou.
Accomplishments in 2015
- Held many meetings with many subject matter experts including the national USA Swimming professionals, local club coaches, water aerobics instructors and water therapy specialists – all to ensure our aquatics center accommodates our community needs in the best way we can affordably provide.
- Formed a design committee and worked with the Aquatic Center Architect (Barker Rinker Seacat) and the city in numerous design reviews to ensure our community needs are addressed in the design.
- Held community concept design meetings to solicit public comment
- Joined the Colorado Springs based Nonprofit Center of Excellence and taken several of their classes
- Formed a capital campaign committee that has researched the thousands of potential grant organizations to identify those most likely to contribute to the Woodland Aquatic Center
- Began the process of grant writing and have begun receiving awards!
- Setup donation page on our website with PayPal, check by mail and GoFundMe tax deductible options.
We understand how the city’s decision to move the Aquatic Center from the Downtown location to the Baldwin site came as a shock and a surprise to many. It was a quick change for us too! However, we witnessed firsthand, how the downtown site (which I loved) simply became unaffordable and appreciated that the city moved quickly to its alternative site with minimal delay. We share here some of the renderings from the revised design at the new site – they are exciting! Our architect has included a separate entrance to Baldwin, separate parking and a unique façade to make it absolutely clear – this is an Aquatic Center for the entire Woodland Park community.
Next in 2016
Another busy year lies ahead.
- Continue grant writing
- Community outreach
- Private donor fundraising
- Continue our consultancy to the city as we work through the detailed design and then the construction design process
- Groundbreaking (Whoo hoo!)
Frequently Asked Questions
We have set up a Frequently Asked Questions page on our website that will hopefully answer other questions you may have. Additionally, we have a Facebook page. Facebook has proven to be a bit easier at getting real-time updates out.
Ways You Can Help
The WAP is always looking for responsible volunteers who have some extra time for grant writing, public outreach, webmaster, social media and fundraising. Let’s make this the best facility possible! If interested, please send an e-mail to me: firstname.lastname@example.org. Obviously, if you’d like to make a tax deductible donation, your donation of $100 or more will ensure your name or honoree will be part of the growing list of contributors on the Woodland Aquatic Center donor wall.
Thank you and Happy New Year!
Gerry Simon, Woodland Aquatic Project